Today is December 12, 2012 or 12-12-12. What’s on your to-do list today?
One of the questions we get from time to time is, “When should I paint?”.
Well, in honor of 12-12-12, here are the 12 best times to paint!
1. Color is fading. One of the easiest ways to tell if it’s time to repaint the exterior of your home is if your color is starting to fade or is “chalking”. Take some touch up paint from the original paint job, and paint a small inconspicuous area. If there’s a major difference in the quality of the color, it may be time.
2. It’s looking dirty. Over time paint gets marred from everyday living. A magic eraser can do wonders, but if the overall look is dirty, it might be easier to paint.
3. Moving In. One of the best times to paint is before you get all of your furniture moved in. The painter may even give you a better price since no furniture needs to be moved.
4. Selling/Renting. Getting ready to sell or rent your home? One of the easiest improvements is to repaint. This accomplishes 2 things. 1-Creates a better overall first impression, and 2.-Makes the home more neutral, allowing a potential buyer or renter to see the home as their own.
5. Outdated. It’s become a running joke whenever we paint a “Tommy Bahama” theme in a home to leave a business card so they can call us back to repaint the following year. The truth is, tastes change, trends change, and sometimes you were just wrong to begin with. It’s OK. Step 1 is to admit you have a problem.
6. New Furniture/Design. Many times when furniture or decor is updated, the paint no longer coordinates. This is a good time to bring a new theme together with a fresh coat of paint.
7. Remodeling. The only thing I’ll say here is that you have a say in each subcontractor. If you’re paying, make sure the contractor or designer is using quality subs. A poor paint job can ruin an otherwise fantastic remodel.
8. Building New. See Remodeling.
9. Just “Cuz”. Sometimes you just need a change. There’s nothing like adding some color, even if it’s just a few accent walls.
10. Your neighbor is painting. There’s nothing that will make your home look worse than a brand new paint job next door. In fact, we get 20% of our work from nosy neighbors.
11. You have kids. My younger brother painted a single, orange permanent marker stripe around our entire townhouse when we were growing up. It happens. Call us.
12. The end of the world. No, I’m not talking about Armegeddon, but sometimes disasters happen. We’ve been there, and we’ve helped after floods, fires and more.
Did you think of any more while you were reading? Add them in the comments! We’d love to hear from you.
Are any of these happening or getting ready to happen for you? Call us for a free estimate!